RootsTech for Newbies: Registration, Travel, & Stay

RootsTech for Newbies: Registration, Travel, & Stay

Part 1 of 3


Considering attending RootsTech for the first time? I was recently asked if I had any advice for newbies, and instantly my answer was, YES!! So I figured I'd share a few "pro tips" here. I have been attending for seven years now, so I've learned a few tricks along the way.


First of all, if you're still on the fence about attending, first read, Countdown to RootsTech2020--Yes This Conference is For You.  If you've ever attended a conference of this magnitude in the past you know that there's an energy that can't be recreated online or in any other setting, and the spirit associated with family history creates an unparalleled experience, which alone is worth the price of admission. That said, if you just can't make it this year, watch for my #NotAtRootsTech series coming soon, where I'll do my best to help you recreate the experience from home this February.

So let's get to it . . . my first suggestion:

REGISTER EARLY

The RootsTech team offers tons of discounts for early registration and they provide some contests for giveaways through their ambassadors if you start watching early. Most free passes are given away by the end of December, so it's not too late to get on social media and search.  My own contest ends December 31st, and here's an up-to-date list of all of them that are still open from ConferenceKeepers.org, so enter now. An additional benefit of registering early is you'll get the best pick of hotels, additional classes like labs, lunches and any additional events.

REGISTER FOR ADD-ONs EARLY 

RootsTech offers a wide variety of add-ons during their registration process. I usually register first and then go back to figure out my add-ons, but I've learned that you want to register for these as soon as possible because they fill up quickly.  The add-ons include the following:

Light Keepers: A track for a partial day Friday or Saturday, designed for Latter-day Saint women to find inspiration for family history in new ways. I haven't personally ever had the time to attend, but I've heard great things about it, and am going to go this year. I'm super excited about it!

Virtual Passes: You can now purchase this pass to get access to tons of virtual content even after the conference is over. There are 2 versions of the pass and both include content for learning for the rest of 2020.

Lunch & Learn sessions: New this year, with these sessions you can skip the long lunch lines and have a seat reserved with lunch provided while you continue to fill your knowledge tank.

Sponsored Lunches: These lunches are offered by some of the big RootsTech sponsors, Q&A with your favorite sponsor.

Workshops, or hands-on learning labs: RootsTech offeres a wide variety of topics covered in a computer lab setting where you'll get actual hands-on experience.  It is an incredible opportunity for engaged learning, and I definitely recommend trying out at least one this year.

All of these Add-Ons fill up early, so be sure to register for them well before RootsTech.  In years past I've waited too long and missed out on some I would have really enjoyed.

PLAN YOUR TRAVEL & ACCOMMODATIONS EARLY

Simply put, hotels near the Salt Palace fill up fast for RootsTech, so you'll want to get your travel squared away as early as possible. Check out the list of conference hotels on the RootsTech homepage. I recommend considering the following:

Staying as close to the Salt Palace as possible, I've done it many ways over the years and I've by far had the best experiences when I stay right next to the Salt Palace. The Radison, Marriott, and Hilton are my favorite because you don't even need a coat to get from door to door, so it's one less thing to deal with during the day. Unfortunately they're all already sold out for this year so you'll want to get started a little earlier next year. Also, during the conference you're so busy running from class to class, exploring the Expo Hall, meeting up with friends, experiencing the evening events, and trying to soak up every moment, so having to get in the car and drive home or farther from downtown is never super appealing. So stay as close as possible.

Coming as early as possible and staying as late as possible. I've done this several ways throughout the years too and when I've waited until Wednesday to arrive, it usually ends up with me missing part or all of a class due to any number of circumstances that can arise, and as a newbie you won't be able to anticipate all of those. So my recommendation:
  • Arrive Tuesday, familiarize yourself with the Salt Palace that evening, and identify where your first one or two classes will be and how long it'll take to get to and from each. 
  • Last, schedule your departure late on Saturday.  Every year I find myself lingering until the very last moment. That last day is rough when you realize that it'll be a whole year before you get to experience the rush of excitement, inspiration and sweet emotion again, so give yourself time to relish. 

That wraps it up for my advice about registration, travel, and stay plans, Part 1 of this series. Watch for Part 2 where we'll discuss Pre-Conference Prep soon.

Post in the comments below any additional questions you have or any additional advice you would offer newbies.

Until next time.

Comments

  1. Good Post, I am a big believer in posting comments on sites to let the blog writers know that they’ve added something advantageous to the world wide web Satta matka and Satta matka result and Satta matka 77

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

https://www.facebook.com/livstreehouse